Welcome to the Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths
At the end of March the Lord Mayor of the City of London, Fiona Woolf, opened the Arch that thirty of our best Blacksmiths built for Treloar School and College, in Alton, Hampshire:
See Don Barker FWCB blacksmithing on Channel ‘More 4′ with Monty Don on 14th April at 9pm
As one of the oldest City of London Livery companies and ranked 40th in the Order of Precedence, the Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths is proud of its enduring involvement with the craft and of its sustained support for the activities of the City of London. Throughout the centuries the Company has remained a lively and charitable organisation committed both to its craft and to supporting a broad of range of philanthropic, educational and civic activities.
The earliest surviving record of an association of blacksmiths within the City of London dates from 1299 and the first Ordinance was granted in 1571. The Company is proud of its heritage and its survival in changing and often challenging social and economic conditions. It retains a strong connection with the blacksmith community and strives to promote and regulate the craft while embracing new working practices and changing technologies.
Some of the ways in which this commitment is shown today include: the Company’s prestigious award scheme with Medals, Certificates, Diplomas and Trophies being presented annually at its popular and convivial Michaelmas Awards Luncheon; its donations for county show prizes throughout the country; its funding of annual bursaries for blacksmithing apprentices and students; the quality control procedures administered by the Craft committee and, not least of all, its affiliated interests with the Army and the Navy and the Cadet Forces.
The Company is proud to combine an enthusiasm for all aspects of the blacksmithing craft - past, present and future – with its continuing support for the activities and objectives of the Lord Mayor and the Corporation of London.
Unless otherwise stated, photography by Michael O’Sullivan.
Copyright: The Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths 2012